Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Three Academic Sources

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/John_Wilding/publication/8192220_The_relation_of_depression_and_anxiety_to_life-stress_and_achievement_in_students/links/54aaf1a50cf25c4c472f7072/The-relation-of-depression-and-anxiety-to-life-stress-and-achievement-in-students.pdf
This article talks about the rise of anxiety and depression in the UK in terms of a students' financial situation. I was hoping to link mental illness in the United States with mental illness in the UK because of the rise of privatization in both places. This article can help me merge the two. The conclusion of this study found that financial difficulties can increase student anxiety, and depression can negatively impact a student's academic success. Financial situations and socioeconomic status has came up in quite a few articles I have read. This leads me to believe that privatization of colleges could potentially be indirectly causing mental illness to increase. I am finding articles that will really help the question of my paper out, which is WHY mental illness is increasing so rapidly amongst college students.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/17247209_Social_drinking_anxiety_and_depression
I have been waiting to receive access to this article because I believe it could give some answers as to why depression and anxiety is increasing. It is a fact that mental illness is increasing, but I really would like to research why and how it is effecting students in their school and personal lives. The abstract of this article explains that anxiety and depression levels increase while drinking, and after drinking. In the article above I mentioned financial and socioeconomic status, but maybe there is proof that students are not helping their own mental illness by engaging in social drinking. I hope I can gain access to the full article, I feel this will help diversify my paper.


http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/09/cover-pressure.aspx
This article contains a lot of information on my topic, not only about anxiety but depression as well. It shows potential reasons as to why mental illness is increasing due to the number of students colleges are letting in. It also explains how colleges are coping, along with statistics about anxiety and depression. The article introduces a new device as a solution to the waitlist problem counselors and university students run into when attempting to get any type of help.


1 comment:

  1. I like the last one, by Amy Novotney, describing the service crisis at colleges and offering several explanations for that. You might think about how privatization of colleges may be both increasing the pressures on some students and limiting funding for these supports. But, as Novotney argues, spending money on support centers can contribute to student persistence, which pays off for schools. So it is worth doing for both humanitarian and economic reasons.

    In future bibliographies, remember to give the complete MLA reference. Fortunately, these were easy to find with your links.

    ReplyDelete